I am frustrated by the extent to which the “BOTH SIDES DO IT, BOTH SIDES ARE OWNED, BOTH SIDES SUCK” meme has taken hold. The fostering of this feeling of hopelessness is possibly the most brilliant move the wealthy and corporate powers that be have ever made. Convince the people that their vote means nothing and that they have no real choice, and they won’t vote, leaving you with a smaller electorate, made up mostly of those loyal to the status quo. Those who promulgate this patently false meme accuse others of not thinking for themselves, when in fact they are the ones abdicating their responsibility to honestly investigate and acknowledge the very real distinctions between parties and candidates.
One party has introduced and tried to pass legislation:
- overturning Citizens United and curbing the influence of money in politics
- raising the minimum wage to a level at which people can survive without government assistance
- providing equal pay for equal work regardless of gender
- expanding health care to millions of Americans who didn’t have it, and limiting insurance industry profits
- introducing common sense gun control laws
- maintaining the separation of church and state
- protecting a woman’s right to choose
- protecting the environment
- protecting workers’ rights
The other party has blocked, tried to block, delayed, or watered down all of the above.
You can choose which approach you prefer at the ballot box. Please do.
Reblogged this on rebloggobbler.
But did you vote? 😉
always do do do, unlike 45% of the democrats in my state